Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Channel Islands Press Trip








This weekend I was invited to join a few magazine editors for a fun kayaking trip to the Channel Islands. Editors from Sunset Magazine, Viv, Sky West and Arroyo Seco Journal were here checking out my hometown of Ventura.  I don't think it is because of my surfing background that I get invited on these trips anymore. I honesty love Ventura probably more than any oneI know here in the town. I have been fortunate enough to travel around the world a few times and back, but I still always find myself loving my hometown the best. 
We boarded the Island Packers "cattle" boat around 8am. Fog slowly lifted as we cruised the glassy waters for about an hour n half till we reached Scorpion Bay. Sun reflected off the crystal clear water, the hills were glowing green and several unique birds flew above us. We kayaked with our own personal guide for four fun hours. The swells were out of the south, which almost had me wishing I was surfing, but my mind continued to be intrigued by our guide's humorous stories and the beautiful surroundings. We enter four major caves which was quite exciting. I have never kayaked for this long of a duration in my lifetime. Just as I was getting sick of it, another cave would pop up. We timed our entrance with the swells as they pushed us from side to side on the rock walls. I managed to get the nose of my kayak stuck in a rock which was quite embarrassing and made my heart race with adrenaline. One would think a surfer has some sort of kayaking skills, but honestly I have only used a kayak to get to and from. It was hilarious. Needless to say, it was a blast!

We left the island with huge smiles on our faces. On the way home we gathered our thoughts  and shared stories with one another. Just when we thought the trip was over, Mother Nature blessed us with some beautiful creatures. Dolphins and whales surrounding the ship. It's funny, no matter how many times in my life I have seen these sea creatures, I am still as excited as a kid in a candy store. I, along with the rest of the tourists aboard, pulled out my iphone camera and snapped a few pics. 

Check out the pics below and make sure to pay a visit to the islands sooner than later. I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments: